Find a home to rent

After you have been recognised as a refugee, you have 2 months to find your own home. After that time, you must leave the reception centre or the house of the CPAS/OCMW.

If you still have not found a house after 2 months, Fedasil can extend this period to a maximum of 4 months.

Get your documents in order

Before you start looking for your own home, make sure all your documents are in order.

You need these documents to conclude a rental contract.

How much can you pay for a home? 

  • We recommend using one third of your income for your home. Do not use more than half of your income to rent!

Find a home

You can look for a house

  •  on the private market: through an estate agency or through friends, acquaintances or volunteers who will help you find one.
  • on the social market: a Social Rental Office (SVK/AIS) or the Social Housing Company (SHM/SLS) offer houses to people who need a home.

Make an appointment for a visit

  • Check that the house is in good condition. Is there enough space? Are there damp patches? Is there water, heating and electricity? Is the house a safe place for your family?

Conclude a rental contract

  • The landlord and you (the tenant) have to sign a rental contract.
  • The landlord asks for a one-off rent guarantee from the tenant. The rent guarantee varies between 1 and 3 months' rent. You can ask the CPAS/OCMW to advance the rent guarantee, but you will have to pay this amount back later.